Made for Me Manual Breast Pump
Great to see that you’ve purchased a Tommee Tippee Made for Me Manual Breast Pump. To help you get started and to keep it working effectively, we’ve added all the guidance you should need, plus some handy hints, tips and troubleshooting advice.
How do I put my Made for Me Manual Breast Pump together?
Each time you use your breast pump, check all parts of the pump for any damage. Wash your hands with soap and water and dry thoroughly before handling your breast pump.
1) Make sure that all parts of the pump have been washed and sterilised.
2) Push the connecting rod through the bottom of the diaphragm.
3) With two hands gently squeeze the bottom of the diaphragm over the ring in the base of the connector rod. The rod should be securely held by the diaphragm.
4) Place the diaphragm cap in the top of the pump body and push the diaphragm edge down around the whole circumference of the pump body to make a good seal.
5) Pick up the pump body and, from the side, slide the handle onto the body, so that the clips on the top slide onto the top of the connecting rod, and the two clips at the side snap onto the back of the pump body.
6) The handle should now freely move up and down and you should see the diaphragm lift up when you press the handle down.
7) Push the soft, silicone cup into the widest part of the horn and smooth its lip evenly over the edge. Work your way all around the rim to make sure the cup fits smoothly, evenly and securely. The two dimples in the cup should be clear to allow air into the horn.
8) Now smooth the lip of the silicone cup around the narrow end of the horn in the same way.
9) Push the horn with cup attached onto the connector until it’s fully engaged and secure.
Turn your pump handset upside down
10) Insert the purple duck-bill valve. Gently squeeze the sides of the valve to make sure it’s open.
11) Screw in a Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature or Advanced Anti-Colic bottle. This breast pump is designed to fit all Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature and Advanced Anti-Colic bottles (excludes Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature glass bottles) and Express & Go / Pump & Go milk pouches with adapter rings.
12) Place the assembled pump on a flat surface.
How do I use my Made for Me Manual Breast Pump breast pump?
The best time to use your breast pump is after the first feed of the day (unless your breastfeeding advisor has told you something different.)
Get yourself in a comfortable position, sitting, standing or half-lying. The important thing is to keep the pump handset vertical while you hold it against your breast. You’ll also need a flat surface nearby to put the pump and bottle on when you’re done
Hands washed and dried before touching your breast pump or body? ✔
Breast pump parts washed and sterilised? ✔
1) Hold the pump handset around the narrow neck of the body. Hold it in whichever hand feels most comfortable. As you use it, you may find it’s more comfortable to cup your hand around the bottle.
2) Place the soft silicone cup attached to the horn over your breast so that it creates a seal all the way around with your nipple at the centre of the hole. You don’t need to cover the whole of your areola or breast with the horn, so don’t force it. It should sit comfortably. If it doesn’t feel right, relax and reposition.
3) Gently squeeze the handle and you’ll feel the suction.
4) Release the handle and allow it to return to its resting position. Releasing the handle opens the valve so your milk can flow into the bottle.
5) Try to imitate the rhythm of your baby as they suck. You don’t have to squeeze hard – just as much as is comfortable for you.
6) When you first start pumping milk, use the pump for 3-5 minutes on each breast. Over time you will be able to build up to 10-15 minutes on each breast.
7) You can help stimulate your milk flow by gently stroking and massaging your breast.
8) The amount of milk you pump and the time it takes will vary. Don’t worry, this is normal.
What do I do when I want to stop pumping?
- When your milk is no longer freely flowing, stop pumping.
- You can store your breast milk in this bottle, by adding a clean sterilised lid or teat and hood (see storage advice). Or decant it into another clean, sterilised bottle or pouch to feed it to your baby.
- When you’ve finished using the pump, disassemble all the parts and clean and sterilise as outlined in the cleaning instructions.
What's the best way to store my breast milk?
- When you want to freeze breast milk, allow space at the top of your bottle for it to expand. It’s easiest to freeze milk in individual feed quantities of 60-125ml/2-4oz.
- Your breast milk may separate out into layers when you store it. Give it a shake to remix it thoroughly before feeding your baby.
- Thaw frozen milk in the fridge or by standing your bottle in lukewarm water until it has reached body temperature. Or use a Tommee Tippee bottle warmer.
- If you want to take expressed milk out and about with you, make sure it stays cold or frozen until you need to feed your baby.
How do I use my Made for Me Manual Breast Pump on the go?
Your Tommee Tippee Made for Me Manual Breast Pump is designed to give you the freedom to express/pump breast milk at home, at work or anywhere that’s comfortable for you. With the portable, rechargeable power pack you don’t need to be connected to a power socket to use it, so you can even move around as you’re expressing/pumping.
Important things to remember:
- To keep your breast pump sterile on the go, carry it in a Tommee Tippee Travel and Microwave Steriliser bag.
- Always store your breast pump handset in a cool, dry place away from heat and moisture and out of direct sunlight.
CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE
How do I clean my Made for Me Manual Breast pump?
Separate each part of the pump handset and wash in clean soapy water. Don’t use water that you’ve used for cleaning other products.
Rinse thoroughly with clean water.
Can I put my Made for Me Manual Breast Pump in the dishwasher?
You can wash the pump handset components in the top rack of a dishwasher. Place the purple duck-bill valve in the cutlery rack or dishwasher pod to keep it safe.
How do I sterilise my Made for Me Manual Breast Pump?
Sterilise all parts of the pump handset using either cold water sterilisation, microwave sterilisation, boiling water, or electric steam sterilisation.
For best results use Tommee Tippee electric or microwave sterilisers
What should I do if using the breast pump is painful?
If it's painful consumers should seek advice from their Breast Feeding co-ordinator, health care professional etc. If it doesn't feel comfortable the consumer should follow steps for repositioning etc as detailed in the manual.
How do I place the breast pump on my breast?
When pumping your nipple should sit comfortably in the center of the silicone cup and will be extended down the tube of by gentle suction. The pump creates a seal around your areola and nipple. You do not need to cover the whole of your areola or breast covered by the horn. Do not force your breast or nipple into the horn.
Don’t tilt the bottle while expressing. Keep it upright to keep your milk flowing into the bottle.
Help, my breast pump isn’t working as well as it usually does. What should I do?
If air is getting in around the silicone cup, your pump may not suck milk effectively. Adjust your position and replace the cup on your breast so that it feels comfortable and the pump is expressing milk.